Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Race Cars and Modern Pro-Street
User Name
Password

Old 02-25-2014, 09:37 PM

Hi Chad,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccracin View Post
So I have a quick update for you Ron. I think what you have helped me with here is going to work out better than I even imagined. So, I took all the information from the thread and typed up basically an outline for them starting with the block and moving on. I sent it over to them and let them chew on it. They are both professional mechanics and own a garage, but they are not engine guys. I think what really hit home was how many details need to be addressed to really make the most of the rules. I told them they could go one of 2 ways. I would help them execute this plan and try to stay on budget. The other was I would get them in touch with the guy I think makes the best power in our area for these types of engines and they can say the hell with the budget and put a hammer in the car. They asked for the introduction and dropped their engine off at his shop today! LOL I'll keep you posted on the progress. Thanks very much!
Too funny! But an excellent choice for them.

You have me wanting to take the parts I have around the shop and putting a motor together to sell. It might be easier to clean the shop up that way!
Haha.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:02 AM

Well Ron, here is a quick update. They got the new engine and have more power than they ever have. Now they don't have the chassis to work with it. I warned them this was going to happen. I'm trying as much as I can to help them get close. One issue they are having is brakes. When I ran, we had to run OEM calipers and Pads. Now they can run racing pads but still have to run OEM calipers. This car has 12" 5x5 impala rotors and calipers on the front. Type 52. The rears are metric calipers on a floater. Type 154. What brake pads do you recommend for a 1/2 mile track? I was thinking a Hawk Blue or Black. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 07-28-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccracin View Post
Well Ron, here is a quick update. They got the new engine and have more power than they ever have. Now they don't have the chassis to work with it. I warned them this was going to happen. I'm trying as much as I can to help them get close. One issue they are having is brakes. When I ran, we had to run OEM calipers and Pads. Now they can run racing pads but still have to run OEM calipers. This car has 12" 5x5 impala rotors and calipers on the front. Type 52. The rears are metric calipers on a floater. Type 154. What brake pads do you recommend for a 1/2 mile track? I was thinking a Hawk Blue or Black. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Hi Chad,

The brake pads depend on the suspension set up. If they were on a high travel/low roll set ... which I doubt they are ... they would need less aggressive pads. We ran Wilwood BP-10's on our High travel Modifieds, because we needed to brake moderately for a set distance without overslowing the mid corner.

In a conventional suspension set-up, you can drive it in deeper but have to slow it down more before mid corner, so you need a more aggressive pad. Most of my customers on Conventional suspension set-ups like the Hawk Blacks. But my one client that has the best conventional set-up (close to a tweener) drives in straighter, diamonds the middle & drives off straighter ... has a shorter braking zone & runs Hawk Blues.

That's why I feel brake pads need to fit the driver & car set-up.