Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 08-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
Well in the customers defence Afco did not provide any valving information or dyno sheet (from what I am being told) so it may have been hard to know if they were correct.
The shocks I sent him are Ridetech single adjustables so we know there won't be an issue with the shock going forward, if there is he can call Bret!!! lol
I'd think the feel (squat) would be dramatic. It begs the question: What shock does he have up front?

PS - Nice pass!
Old 08-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post
You guys are awesome.

We are very fortunate to have them both!

Friendly competition is the best competition.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
You are talking about Keith from Custom Works, I should probably clarify and add to the info you posted. We have been looking at the torque arm that came out of the car, and have pretty much determined the cause. Keith runs Afco double adjustable shocks. the valving on them (according to Afco is a Drag Race set up) is SUPER soft and he was experiencing brake wheel hop (we never see this and even Ron Sutton who I asked for a non bias opinion said flat out "no way you should be getting any brake hop from a torque arm unless the shocks are too soft or too firm). due to the shock not being able to control the rear suspension. This in turn transferred into the torque arm and the metal was deformed and stressed to a point that it tore. we have NEVER seen this in all the time we have been building the torque arm 6 years now, you know how my Nova gets Driven.... and there have been no issues. we have addressed the issue by supplying a different set of shocks for Keith to try and I am positive he will not have the problem again.

In Talking to Keith I don't think he "HATES DRIVING THE CAR" he said to me that he likes the way it drives it is just different than his old leaf spring set up.

Blake,

Would the shock contribute to excessive noise transmitted thru the torque arm?
I know noise was something Keith was talking about. I'm not sure what gear set he has, I know you mentioned that some gears are noisier than others.
69 Camaro. sold
Old 08-11-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURVES View Post
Blake,

Would the shock contribute to excessive noise transmitted thru the torque arm?
I know noise was something Keith was talking about. I'm not sure what gear set he has, I know you mentioned that some gears are noisier than others.
We have done lots of testing with rubber mounting and Delrin bushings, there is some noise associated with the driveline/suspension but when we tried rubber bushings there was NO NOTICABLE decrease in the noise, I will say we have a 69 here in the shop that has all Ridetech suspension in it 4 link, front truturn, shocks and it TOO is noisy............. so you tell me.

I don't think the shock itself would ADD or Reduce the transfer of noise. we have tried it both ways. I do keep going back to the Explanation and example of the OEM'S, they spend countless millions to reduce and eliminate noise and vibrations in NEW cars, I watched a show where Aston Martin uses a "Dynamat" type material to help eliminate noise in the DB but it is all computer designed shapes and they use a template to locate it and it is all tested in a sound room. I mean really!! so then we want a 45 year old car to be the same or close, but we go and put LS engines and t56's and 9" rear ends and solid body bushings and and and . The car was loud when it was new............... Keith mentioned that the sound changed when he installed the Torque arm, I don't know if he did a new rear end at the same time and what else. I know from experience driving my Nova that there are lots of noises, the tires Falken Azens are probably the biggest culprit. I had a set of Continental Slicks on all 4 corners for some testing and honestly the car was so quite you would think it wasn't running ???? mine has a slight rear end whine but I mean slight, in 5th and 6th gear if your cruising and apply throttle the trans makes a crazy grinding vibration sound till it gets loaded up (maybe 1-1.5 seconds) and then its fine. it has always done this?? do I care. not really but other than that the car is loud, Exhaust, wind noise, STEREO!! it's LOUD, the WIFE yelling at me to SLOW DOWN!!
Not sure if all this matters but it maybe sheds some light on the question. these cars are not NEW and I don't care what you do to them they will never be like a new car.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:31 PM

Understood.

I for one, enjoy the heavy duty mechanical noise as long as it's not destructive noise.

I also like my passengers to be a bit frightened!

BTW: Keith did do a new 9"
69 Camaro. sold

Last edited by CURVES; 08-11-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I watched a show where Aston Martin uses a "Dynamat" type material to help eliminate noise in the DB but it is all computer designed shapes and they use a template to locate it and it is all tested in a sound room.
I was fixated on the tv watching that show. What amazed me on the sound dampening was they used the Dynamat type product cut out in the shape of cartoon lightning bolts and strategically placed them on the sheet metal panels vs doing the entire panel and adding unnecessary pounds to the car.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURVES View Post
Understood.

I for one, enjoy the heavy duty mechanical noise as long as it's not destructive noise.

I also like my passengers to be a bit frightened!

BTW: Keith did do a new 9"
So how do we know if that is not the issue? all new suspension with a NEW 9" What gears? maybe the 9" is really loud??? hard to compare an aftermarket 9" with a stock 10/12 bolt with factory gears?? if that is what he had.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:05 PM

I thought he might just be hearing his new rearend, then I wondered if soft shock settings that could tear parts apart might cause excess noise by changing angles too much......

Like you said hard to know
69 Camaro. sold
Old 08-18-2014, 09:16 AM

so Just an update. Keith had the car at an auto X this week end with the new shocks. and ....................... Problem solved. said the car felt more stable and planted. now he just needs to replace the front shocks.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
so Just an update. Keith had the car at an auto X this week end with the new shocks. and ....................... Problem solved. said the car felt more stable and planted. now he just needs to replace the front shocks.
Cool!