Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 07-08-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Definitely have no intention of involving politics in this discussion. It's all garbage. Let's stick with the topic and positivity.
Amen. This will be better than the investing thread.

I had skinless chicken tonight.

I thought I would mention that as we get older, stretching before, during , and after workouts is important.

I find that I get less injuries, and my recovery time is much improved by stretching each body part as I am working it out. 30 seconds after each set.

Just a thought

Soon to be crazy
Old 07-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Was bike riding 60 to 80 miles a week, being hyperactive, i need to to slow me down (adhd crap)...

Just had major shoulder surgery 4 weeks ago and now cant ride, row, swim, shift...just plain sux!!!!!

Bunch of people said i was going to gain a bunch of weight, i'm actually eating better and have lost 4 lbs (5'10 and 180lbs) would like to be down to 170 ish.

Lost a buddy to cancer last year, he was 51. He told me what he learned going thru this that in his case was to way cut down on sugar(lung cancer got him and he never smoked). We get too much here in the states, same thing with salt. When I get back from one of my rides my helmut inside is caked with salt. And i dont eat fast food, very minimal processed foods.

Lets not forget about the work enviroment either, alot of us here have realitively high stress jobs (in other words lots of responsibilties). I own a company and have a hard time just bout every day and am seriously contimplating a way out, 19 people count on me to eat, its a small company but i do this because of my love for them. I am having a hard time right now, and am hoping it will get better. But the stress is the killer...so exercising really does it for me..\\

So diet and exercise is a MUST! Bodies at rest stay at rest, bodies in motion stay in motion....

p.s. sorry i dont have a 69, i only have a 70 lol

Mike
Old 07-08-2012, 08:57 PM

Good thread, Todd.

I'm actually fairly certain I'm going to be moving back to Atlanta sometime this year for a lot of the reasons listed. I enjoy what I do but this job is killing me. The hours are horrendous(I'll be up at 2am tomorrow morning), I don't have time to exercise regularly, and I've eaten way too much gas station food than I care to admit. Oh, and the sleep thing too. My sleep hours are anything but consistent. I just can't live my life this way any more. Physically, I'm rather healthy still. Working outside has its benefits. Mentally, not so much. I need to be on a more routine schedule so I can plan my days properly. That way I can work towards the goals I have in my life and do the simple things I enjoy such as exercising. I'd really like to try crossfit and some of the obstacle course "runs". I'm not a weight lifter. I'm 6' and 165lbs with long legs. I'm built to run and do cardio. So yeah, I'll play along with this idea too. Just be patient and let me get back to Atlanta and have a more routine life first, lol.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 07-08-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
Was bike riding 60 to 80 miles a week, being hyperactive, i need to to slow me down (adhd crap)...

Just had major shoulder surgery 4 weeks ago and now cant ride, row, swim, shift...just plain sux!!!!!

Bunch of people said i was going to gain a bunch of weight, i'm actually eating better and have lost 4 lbs (5'10 and 180lbs) would like to be down to 170 ish.

Lost a buddy to cancer last year, he was 51. He told me what he learned going thru this that in his case was to way cut down on sugar(lung cancer got him and he never smoked). We get too much here in the states, same thing with salt. When I get back from one of my rides my helmut inside is caked with salt. And i dont eat fast food, very minimal processed foods.

Lets not forget about the work enviroment either, alot of us here have realitively high stress jobs (in other words lots of responsibilties). I own a company and have a hard time just bout every day and am seriously contimplating a way out, 19 people count on me to eat, its a small company but i do this because of my love for them. I am having a hard time right now, and am hoping it will get better. But the stress is the killer...so exercising really does it for me..\\

So diet and exercise is a MUST! Bodies at rest stay at rest, bodies in motion stay in motion....

p.s. sorry i dont have a 69, i only have a 70 lol

Mike
Great post...Stress...Salts....Sugars....Processed foods..I am going to enjoy changing my patterns and to see the positive results..

Soon to be crazy
Old 07-08-2012, 09:50 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

I don't know who said this is going to be "better than Investing 102" but I'm going to kick the crap out of 'em just for the exercise!

Gwen and I started working 3 days a week with a PT that comes to the house. He kicks our sorry butts... and I've lost about 0 pounds... but my waist is smaller and I feel SO MUCH STRONGER and better. First workouts I could hardly do 10 pushups -- now I'll crank off sets of 20 without even thinking about it.

Gwen added a new bike - a Trek 5.9 or something like that - and she's riding with girlfriends 3 or so times a week and they're doing 40 to 50 miles already.

I'm short and stock -- think "fireplug" -- and don't think I'll ever loose any weight. I'm just not into that part of it... I just like being healthy with the cardio and strength. I've worked out for years and never had a sculpted body. But I can work all friggin' day without stopping. When I was an active Pyro -- my buddy and I could kick butt all day and just kill the young guys (I'm 59)... and they'd even say "wow" at the end of a day.

Good thread and I'm glad you started it Todd!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 PM

Desert tonight consisted of 1/2 Papaya and 3 strawberries each. It's my first time trying a Papaya and they are very good. These two fruits mesh very well for a desert. Jack Lalanne mentions that Papyas are great for body builders do to the Papain which helps us digest proteins which in turn helps with muscle growth and repair.
http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-papayas-i9226
http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...wberries-i9316
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=47

Around 100 calories packed full of vitamins and it was GREAT.

Last edited by Vegas69; 07-08-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:01 PM

Mike, go get yourself a bike and you will see what i mean, it will make a big differance in your health, btw, your in a great area to do it....(just dont do it during rush hour lol)

Greg, as i'm sort of layed up with this injury i've been watching the tour de france (well i watch it every year) and you've got the build to be a sprinter! go get yourself one, ride a little (you'll love the speed and handling in case you haven'nt done it yet) and take her for a 27 miler next time your in Napa. Life is short....la vita e bella!!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:06 PM

So Jack Lalanne was a total bada$$, towed 70 row boats with a person in each across the bay on his 70th birthday, 24ish years ago. He had a simple diet, and was the original work out guru. Whats old becomes new again...
Old 07-08-2012, 11:15 PM

Don't forget he was shackled. There is no such thing as reinventing the wheel with life, diet, and excercise. The answers are there and have been there for a long time. You just have to open your eyes, educate yourself, and want it.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:24 PM

One thing I just read in the book End of Illness I'm reading is the importance of keeping to the same routine day in and day out as far as when you eat and what time you go to bed and get up. He even said that it's more important that you go to bed and get up the same time each day then it is how many hours you sleep. It makes sense to me as if I think about it I feel the best when I sleep from about 10:30 to 5:00.

Some foods to absolutely stay away from: Partially hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, sodium nitrates and nitrites. Read the labels of everything you eat, if you can't pronounce it or have never heard of it, put it back. Trader Joe's is a great store for this, I shop there almost exclusively. Sugar is another big one to watch out for but a key point in End of Illness is each person needs to find their own plan that works for them and the book tells you how to figure that out. I have a super high metabolism, can eat whatever I want and not put any weight on, so I might be able to tolerate a lot more sugar than you.

Here is a great lecture by a prominent pediatric endocrinologist on how much of a poison sugar is. It's long but watch it, especially for your kids if you have them:

(Greg, not trying to kill your KO stock by the way)

69 Camaro
Several other things with wheels and engines

https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=27133

Last edited by ErikLS2; 07-09-2012 at 12:24 AM.