Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 11-07-2016, 06:13 AM

Default Another second gen Camaro, from Aus.

Hey everyone, my names Jake and I'm from Perth, Australia. Been lurking on Lateral G for about a year now which has ultimately inspired me to turn my tough street car into a proper pro tourer.

I purchased the car with a 502 BBC, T400, moser 9" and a few other bits and pieces, it's an honest car but not really what i thought it would be so I've bit the bullet, taken a deposit for the motor and box and started tearing it down.

The new setup will be an LS3 / TR6060, Brand new subframe with all the fruit, torque arm rear suspension, wilwood 6 / 4pot brakes and a 285 / 335 wheel and tyre combo along with a bunch of other little things to suit ( mini tubs, flat firewall, wilwood pedal box, VDO gauges, AAW wiring loom etc )

The exterior will stay is for now, i plan to track this car at so i wont go dumping thousands into body work only to end up in a sandtrap / wall testing the limits of the car.

Motor and box have been sold and are due to be picked up this weekend, so the car currently looks like this...

I've also stripped the interior out, started removing all the sound deadner and seam sealer from the floor to check for any rust.

Found one little patch so far in the rear D/S foot well which hopefully isnt too much worse than whats pictured.

The only other area that needs some attention is the very top corner on the P/S, the floor is attached to the sill panels which have been abused on this car, causing the floor to come away from the sill seam when it was bent by a jack, stand etc. So that will need a bit of massaging and welding.

Other than that the floors seem super solid and it has had a new boot floor put in at some stage so its all good.

Will attack it with a wire wheel to bring it all back to bare metal, undercoat, dynamat, underlay and then finally new carpet will go in.

My big shipment of parts will be ordered beginning of next week and surprisingly it was only an extra $200 to ship the whole crate by air compared to sea, so it will be here in December rather than March, hopefully Christmas comes early

Pretty excited to actually build a car, the way I want it with hopefully little paid work.

My time frame is around 4 months as there is an event as the beginning of March i'd love to get too.

Last edited by jaba; 08-03-2019 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:25 AM

You've got a great car to start out with, it's gonna be fantastic when you complete your plans for it.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:15 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Welcome! You have a great plan for your project. It will be fun to watch it come together.
Subscribed.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:58 PM

Looking forward to watching this build! Looks like a real nice car to start with....
Old 11-16-2016, 03:26 AM

Cheers guys!

Motor is finally out and gone!

Also received my fuel system parts from Summit today.

Aeromotive phantom 340 in tank fuel system to suit the carby style ricks tank. And a corvette regulator / fuel filter combo with - 6 fittings on each end.

Super impressed with the quality and finish of the pump system and it is quite a nice unit. The kit includes pre filters, foam baffling to avoid fuel surge and is completely universal as long as your fuel tank is between 5.5" - 11" deep.

This particular single pump model is good for up to 850HP N/A or 700HP FI, which should be plenty for now, if not its quite simple to swap to the dual pump 1200HP units.

Plan is to run braided line from the pump to the regulator, and hardline the rest of the way to the fuel rail.

My rear floor pan is also on the way so the metalwork will begin shortly. Not sure what to do for the firewall at the moment, would like some kind of beadrolled shape but unsure of what will look tidy without being to complicated or over the top.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:42 PM

Thanked 1,546 Times in 850 Posts

Car looks solid and should be a fun car.

Marty-MJ

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 11-30-2016, 11:06 PM

Unfortunately ran into more rust with this thing after deciding to investigate what was hiding underneath these horrible patch panels.

I was hoping it was just rusted out where they had covered up, but unfortunately it goes a little deeper into the sill than that.

Yet to find out what behind this patch below the door hinge mounts but from feeling behind its the same story as the left hand side.

Fortunately you can get replacement panels for the outer skin, however I have not been able to find any replacements for the rest of the areas not covered by the panel below, all in all not too bad and will give me a chance to fabricate a few simple pieces to repair the rotted out areas without having to worry too much about it looking good as it will mostly never see daylight again.

In more exciting news I've purchased a motor and box. LS3 / TR6060 out of a VF2 SSV (commodore) with 14,000k's (8,700 miles ), close enough to new for me and at a very reasonable price.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:42 PM

That should be a nice drivetrain. Better to find it now then after it's painted.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:53 AM

So Christmas came early

Old 12-09-2016, 08:51 AM

The magic heart transplant