View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 07:45 PM

Default Max G Rear and Front suspension Opinion from an engineer

i would just like to reply to the comment of "That MaxG stuff looks scary, I wouldn't put it under a Geo Metro, let alone a 3400 pound Camaro! Racing technology doesn't always mean better. There are a lot of racecars out there held together with bailing wire and bubble gum."

First of all i am an mechinal engineer with ford Motor company for 15 years and i am currently involved with the new 5.0L engine that will soon grace the new mustang

Anyways i have purchased the Max G rear .

My main concern when i purchased the system was to have a bolt on kit --because i did not want to weld onto my 1970 mustang mach 1 .

so i looked for a excellent engineered kit that would actually increased the strength and rigidity of my car and not add excessive weight either. chromoly steel does this in spades---yes alot of companies the engineeering is suspect but i can tell you that the Max g from highland daytona racing is not one of them .

First of all i would like to say that i have a high pressure welding ticket when i was a power plant engineer and i was doing the maintaince on boiler compressor etc. So i can weld but that is not the point. i would rather have bolts increasing the rigidity and strength of a 40 year old car as it is a classic and it should not be welded onto.

Anyone with any structural egineering experience can tell you that the
part is only as strong as the part it is held together with.
Bridges are held together by bolts. The main goal is an engineered solution .
By welding you actually decrease the strength of the metal

The classic mustang and 1st gen camoro were economy cars and not very strong when new . Ford and gm made them cheap they were never ment to last this long. The mustang was based on the light duty falcon and was never meant to have all that power and last this long either --so anything that can help it last longer i would without a doubt as all classic car owners should.

The frame metal thickness is thin . Hell the Max G is 10 times thicker and stronger than my cars frame. the mounting points are with grade 8 bolts .This exoskeloton type of system actually increasses the strength of the car. **** the originall leaf springs --the loads are dispersed into 2 bolts front and rear. the Max g disperses the load in a greater area and reinforces the strength of the car at the same time.

I feel safer drivining my old car now than with stock components that were never that strong to begin with .

The new max g front for the ford and 1st gen camaro is a excellent front end solution as it addresses the inferior geometry and materials that were used by ford and gm back in the day. Plus it will make your old car last longer as it has just become stronger than it ever was from the factory

IF you want an excellent engineered solution that is easy to install look into the Max G and better yet talk to a real engineer instead of what you read or think you think . i did not go to university and also get my skill trade license just for fun. pLUS THE MANY YEARS OF REAL WORLD EXPERIANCE

Anyways enough of the sermon --i just wanted to set the record straight