Thread: ArtWork Page
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 10:06 AM

Well, I guess I should chime in as well. I sorta hesitated to comment on a new "designer's forum" (aside from the current Artwork Gallery page) because I wanted to see what some of the others had to say first before I said something dumb.

As usual, John and I (and now Brian) are pretty much on the same page with regards to showcasing work and bouncing ideas off other designers. With the design experience I have, including school, it is extremely inspiring to see other outstanding work. I personally enjoy staring at all the other artwork and disecting how a particular effect was done or a new technique was executed. That is the single best way to learn IMO. I think it's particularly helpful because public venues and magazines are entirely how I learned. I never went to school for transportation design and the drawing classes I had in college never went into any depth. I copied renderings in mags and books since I was a kid. The problem is that you're never satisfied with your own work, I always try to make the next rendering better than the last.

Though it's unavoidable that we are "competing" for work to a point, our skills and rendering style would become stale if unchallenged. The first thing I want to do when I see someone's work in a magazine is get on the drawing board and crank out renderings.

Once again Scott, I can't thank you enough for providing this "talking shop" environment for us designers, as well as an open dialog with the craftsmen who build cars and the owners and enthusiasts who dream about them.

Sorry for the rant.

Thanks Scott,

Ben

Hermance Design
My Facebook