View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 07:56 PM

One more car-related idea. COTA has a karting track now that I hear good things about. I haven't been myself, but need to.

We have another smaller track called The Driveway, it's closer to downtown. They also do karting on the weekends, but they sometimes cancel if it's too hot.

Food - Austin has really improved the dining options over the last 10 years. Plenty of great places to go!

If you have a whole day to kill, you can look into floating down one of the rivers in New Braunfels. It's about 30 minutes south of Austin downtown, you rent a tube and hop on the water. 4-6 hours later, you get out and get a ride back to your car.

You can rent bicycles at multiple places around the Lady Bird Lake trail (I call it by it's previous name, Town Lake). It's the 10 mile hike and bike trail near downtown.

There are also Segway tours available around the downtown area. I haven't done it, but they look fun.

Bat Fest is a fun event, I have been. Several bands all day, it's on the bridge for South Congress in downtown. It will be hot, but still a fun event.

You can rent canoes and stand-up paddle boards on Lady Bird Lake and get out on the water if you want. There are always a lot of people out on the weekends.

If you feel like catching a movie, I suggest the Alamo Drafthouse. You get to eat in your seat (the food is good!) and drink if you want (beer, wine, some liquor). Get there a bit early, the pre-movie entertainment is fun (not the commercials of a normal theater, and it varies by the movie). There are multiple locations, I prefer the South Lamar one (I live close by) or the Mueller location. Really depends on what's close to you. (the pizzas are great and the chocolate cookies are a must have!)

We have a couple of comedy venues that can be fun, depending on what you like. Cap City Comedy Club is on the north side of town, and Esthers Follys is on 6th Street. Be forewarned, Esther's tends to political-based comedy, so may or may not be your thing.

More Brewpub recommendations: ABGB, Black Star Coop, The Brewatorium (friends of mine own this one, good variety of food and beer).

Mount Bonnell. Short hike up a cliff gets you a nice view both into downtown as well as out towards the Pennybacker bridge. It's a cliff on Lake Austin, and when you look down you see some prime lake property. It's a 10-15 minute walk up once you park, worth the time.

Austin is a fun city, definitely lots to do. Traffic can be a pain, so if you are trying to get across town, make sure you allocate some time.

Have a great trip!
The Following User Says Thank You to carbuff For This Useful Post:
jarhead (08-03-2018)