View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 09:02 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,845 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Cruiser View Post
Yeah, I'm an Engineer too and speak the language, I'm just trying not to reinvent the wheel. Maybe Mark is just holding a grudge because our FSAE car beat his FSAE car 27 years ago?
Well I was going to help you but now that you said you beat me in FSAE...

The number one question I always get asked is how can I do ABS on my car?

Well the simple answer is once you have good wheel speed sensor buy the Bosch M4 system.

Or COMPLETELY copy the Corvette system.

Greg Weld made a very good point. I do not want to be liable for what someone does with their hot rod. I have seen some of the cars out there and the crappy wiring jobs. Some cars are well done but most are not.

Also, most time when I answer a question people come back with two more, then I answer those two guestions, then I get four. No good dead goes unpunished.

Yes, I sorted it out using a C6 Corvette system with out a lot of the sensors or a body control module. Do I want to let that calibration out. NO. It has no way to set a light if the system faults out. When I used it in 2010 my ABS faulted at OUSCI on the road course and I locked a front tire. I was ready for it and reverted back to a passive system. No issue. I used a Tech 2 reset the ECBM and went on my was to win the event... Unlike FSAE....

People on this form my think that is selfish. Well every car out there is a snowflake. I don't have the time or energy to answer all the off the wall questions. Also the system is one off, not validated and has no safety check function warning light. That message comes through the the BCM (Body Control Module).

I have a lot of experience driving GM cars at the race track to fine faults in ABS system. When the ABS faults out it can be very dangerous. Ask Randy Johnson about his crash when his faulted out. I have flat spotted tires and almost crashed a dozen cars looking for issues. Your average guy might not be as experienced as me. Heck Danny Popp went off track at this years OUSCI because his ABS faulted out due to low voltage and he had a warning light.

Most older OE ABS modules have a back up calibration that will work without all the sensors. It is chunky and will keep the car from locking up the brakes. The tires needs to be within 3% of the stock diameters. I do not recommend just trying it. Look at all the guys complaining about their C5 Corvette ABS systems not working well.

If you use the C5 guys as a test case. Guys change tires, wheels, brake rotors, brake calipers and pads and wonder why their ABS is not working. So let's use an engine anology.... I have a LS6 and change it to a 427 with big cam and heads and you want it to work with a stock engine cal. How do you think it will work?

Right now to the best of my knowledge the best system to use is the Bosch M4 system. GM, Ford, BMW, Porsche..... All the OE make millions of ABS systems every year. We make it work. Copy the complete ABS system and electrical architecture and it should work. This will not be easy, but shops like the Ring Brothers just did it on that Caddy.

Mark Stielow

Last edited by Stielow; 01-26-2017 at 09:07 PM.