Thread: FJ40 thread....
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 07:26 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheck44 View Post
This is PERFECT Jeff, exactly what my plan was and wanted to see what you were doing for suspension. I've also decided to go Manual with an H55 and likely a 60 TC ... just need to find this stuff.

Are you going disc rear, and if so what kit did you use ?
Also, what are your plans for an EFI tank ?

Keep the pics coming !

Thanks
Steve
I do plan rear disc when I do the LS. I'm lucky once again that mine is a '79 because that got me factory power front disc brakes. I'm looking at something like the JT Outfiiters kit Rear Disc Kit Here. It does not have provisions for an emergency brake but mine has the separate mid-mounted drum for that. I understand that there is a Cadillac caliper you can substitute that does have the provision if yours doesn't have the mid-drum or if you are changing transfer cases.

If it didn't already have front disc, I would have just done all Wilwood. Not for the flash, you cant even see any of it, but because I've used their stuff on several projects and like it. Bang for buck.

Fuel system has not been decided. I don't want to run an external pump but sometimes you work with what is there. Here is where '79 was not so bueno, it has a specific tank design. There are no replacements available. It also has a really funky shape that looks like a jelly bean someone stepped on in army boots. I am not sure yet if there is a place to retro one of the drop ins (Holley/Aeromotive) and get it to seal. Some of the new scavenger socks I've seen give me hope though on getting it to pick up fuel if I can find flat real estate to mount the top ring. The though of having to "make" a flat spot on top of the tank is not appealing, but is doable. If I have to go that far, I might as well weld in a factory GM ring and go OE. I have the tank and pump from the Camaro donor.
All else fails, we know we can use an external pump. Tried and true.

Please feel free to discuss your plans and thoughts!! I wanted this to be an open thread to all FJ builds. (all two of them... )

Jeff-