View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 09:14 PM

Default 70 Chevelle performance project

Been on the site for a little while now, and I must say that you guys are a dedicated and talented bunch of enthusiasts.
I'm a 40 year old gearhead, who does electrical contracting out of necessity. It pays the bills. My passion is cars. I'm a performance and technology nerd. If its cutting edge, I'm interested. I've had my hands in a lot of cool stuff. I've built a couple high end builds for show. Both were trucks. The first one I built for myself, and its won just about anything ISCA could throw at it. It's been featured in truckin' and Sport truck magazines. It's won the coveted Boyd Coddington award. 1 of 400 he ever made. Not trying to boast here, just laying some ground work. I'm pretty picky. A perfectionist actually. I do my own work, and I do it right. I've worked with cars since I was a teenager, and its a passion. I've worked around quality people, and I believe that makes all the difference. I worked for an engine builder who did a lot of cup engines, and other types of racing engines. He taught me how to be patient, and why attention to details matters. He also raced asphalt late models, and I worked on his cars. He taught me chassis. Years later, I was able to afford my own asphalt race team, and what I learned from him, engine and chassis wise, was invaluable.
All the while I've been a fan of the 70 Chevelle. I've had many chances to purchase a nice one through the years, but passed. I'm not one to just buy a car from someone, and enjoy it. I have to make it mine. It's a disease. I'm in Georgia, and around here, if its a 70' it's worth more than say a 71' in the same condition. I don't know why. But it's true. So when it came time to begin this project, finding a nice donor car at a reasonable price was impossible. So I found a suitable 71' in my price range, and pulled the trigger. It's a decent car. An Alabama Craigslist find, that had been in the same family since it was new. It will be a 70' clone when I'm done with it. Nothing wrong at all with a 71'. Just not what I wanted.
I'm looking to build a 70' that will handle well, as I will surely go dodge some cones. It must have a decent amount of power, high 400, to low 500 horse, with gobs of torque. The car must stop well, and be above all else, fun to drive. I don't want to use the pro-touring title, but I guess that's the overall look I'm after. I've owned a couple of corvettes, so I'm kind of spoiled with what I'm looking for in a overall package. This will be fun. I have tons of pics to share with you guys, so be patient. This will take a while.

Started with this. Bought it November of 11'
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!

Last edited by Che70velle; 12-27-2012 at 09:19 PM.