Thread: Orange Peel
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Muscle View Post
you need to differentiate between texture and orange peel. texture is what you would see in a new factory car. orange peel will look like... well, the peel of an orange. its a lot worse situation that just texture from spraying.

honestly if the painter is decent there shouldnt be any "orange peel" you may notice a tad bit of texture but look at any factory car, they have texture but are shiney when going down the road and no one complains.. if you have the time to wetsand and polish the entire car then by all means go for the show finish. if you plan on parking at walmart and local diners i wouldnt waste my time. i would make sure the car is super straight before paint, make sure the painter took his time, and denib any trash nibs then drive it. the first time some one door dings your 100hrs worth the sanding and buffing your going to have a heart attack so just make sure its straight and shiney.. show car finishes arent for cars that will be driven everywhere...

what color you go with will also make a difference. red, yellow, white(brighter colors) are going to really hide alot of flaws and imperfections in the clear. darker colors are really going to show them. you just have to decide what level of perfection youre going to be satisified with and go from there. determine whether this is going to be your show car or your baby.. or just a driver for you to enjoy..
Thanks for the information. You guys don't relize how much I have learned from this one thread.

My car is originally Antique Gold. I want to go back with some sort of Gold color. Should a lighter color primer be used with Gold?

I only plan on driving on sunny days and hopefully not get caught in the rain. Leaving my car in the parking lot a Walmart is not an option. I will never leave my car unattended and I will always have one eye on her (do I sound crazy or what?)

Thanks.

1969 Firebird, 4-speed Coupe

If GOD is for us, then who can be against us!