Thread: Investing 102
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanks Greg. You're correct, this is my savings and I feel I have enough to play with as well as keep on hand should an emergency arise. That's why I called it investing 102. I felt like I had my retirement stuff set up correctly and in their appropriate accounts and wanted to venture into the next thing which I consider less conservative or more risky. Yet, I don't know squat about that stuff so I figured I better ask. This is money I will eventually spend on a house or car stuff I believe so I don't want anything risky. I just want better than 0.80% lol. Besides, who knows how long it'll be before I can actually spend it on a car or house. By that time, I may just leave it well enough alone and start the car fund over again.

For what it's worth, my Roth IRA is through Vanguard and it's their Star account which is a very low management fee mutual fund. I'd have to look it up as to how it's diversified through stocks, foreign and domestic, and bonds. I couldn't begin to tell you what particular companies or bonds the money is in though. Its doing just fine for me though considering it's a long term deal.

Also, I'm 31 and started the Roth at 26 but didn't necessarily max it out at 5k every year.

I'm glad to see others getting some information and knowledge out of these posts as well. That was my intent and I'm glad it's working out that way.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims