View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 12:08 PM

Default 1985 Monte Carlo SS known as Barney

This has been my 6 year long build, that has been finished a couple of times already...but has recently gone back under the knife once again.

My current list of accomplishments and mods are as follows:

Completely restored everything but the top sides of the frame rails and the paint
GMPP HT383 fed by the stock CCC Q-jet and Carb, 402 ft lbs, 284 hp to the rear tires
T56 out of a 1999 Camaro
Custom 3.5" drivershaft
Quick Performance 9" with disc brakes, 3:50 gear
All suspension pivot points are delrin, front UCAs DSE, LCAs Ridetech, Rear Control arms all UMI with roto joints
36mm F-body sway bar up front, 1" Hotchkiss LCA mounted rear sway bar
Ridetech TQ coilover shocks, 3.6" travel up front, 6.9" travel out back
Hypercoil springs, 8" 600# front, 12" 162# rear
Street rims are Billet Specialties Reallys 17x8, 17x9.5, rubber will end up being Rivals once BFG makes some wide enough
Track rims are 16x8 ZQ8s with Hoosier A6s
Interior mods include Dakota Dash VHX gauges, Retrosound head unit, 2005 GTO seats, sound deadening and new carpet

I'm sure I've forgot some things as well, but that's pretty much the car as it currently sits.

Overall it's a great driving car, wouldn't be afraid to take it on a long road trip at all. It's very comfortable and the suspension tweaks done on it for autocross competing have only helped it's street manners. I am trying to strike a fine balance between a street car and a track car. This has held me up a bit on track days in the near future as I'm concerned about the 28 year old stock restraint system in place with the speeds it will now obtain on the big tracks. I'm still undecided what to do in that area. Don't really want to cage the car, but might consider a 4 point bar and a harness or maybe even some door bars in the future.

Only other really pressing need is replacement body bushings. The stock rubber bushings still appear okay, but let the frame flex WAY too much for the spirited driving the car sees. This will be my main winter project, along with upgrading the front brake package.

I have a ton of pictures of the car, if there are any mods you'd like to see pictures of, just ask.

Here's a pic of me throwing the car around the autocross course a month or so ago just because...