View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 05:35 PM

So I did some work over the weekend that I didn't get to include in last night's pictures... I pulled the engine (it's going into a friend's Model A project) and transmission, and I was preparing to drop the subframe. Then the real fun began.

The engine and transmission came out pretty easily (the hoist was REALLY close to the front bumper on the Firebird, but I managed to do it without removing the bumper). As I went around to loosen the subframe bolts, the one under the AC box broke loose. Oh crap... And there was no way I was getting to that nut without removing the AC box. And there was no way that I was removing that AC box without removing the inner fender. See where this is headed?

The further I got into it, the more little rust problems that I found with the cage nuts that are used to assemble the front sheet metal. I assume that Florida humidity got to them, as most were pretty rusty, and I had 2 break loose. And unfortunately it looks like I need a new radiator support as well...

Now I find myself in a quandry. As I said in my original post, I really wasn't planning to dive into the bodywork on this car. But with it this far apart and needed to replace a couple of items already, should I just go ahead and strip the car down and do the bodywork? Or I should more accurately say, have it done? I don't really have the time or facilities to do it myself right now. Hmm...

Here are some pictures from the weekend.

Old SBC 350 that came out:

My workspace:

The aftermath of the fender, inner fender, and AC box removal:

The pile o' parts:

Rusted out bottom of the radiator core support.