View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 05:34 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Heat exchanger sizing

So I'm trying to workout what size heat exchanger I need for my car. I know bigger is better, but I don't plan on mounting mine front and center. I'm planning on two or possibly 3 cores, one on each side of the grille. If I end up with a 3rd core it could mount laid down in the center not blocking the radiator. What I don't know is what kind of total area I should aim for?

To make this a little simpler I'm only looking at length and width. Thickness is something I'll add into it later, but a stock core is only .5" thick and everything I'm looking at is 1.4" or thicker so total water capacity will also be higher.

Lets say that a normal core size for a CTS-V is 21x16 I have a total area of 336 sq. in., but a ZR1 uses a smaller core in the area of 9x24 for 216 sq. in.

So lets say I have 2 cores that are 9x9 (81sq. each 162sq. total) and then I add a 3rd core thats 10x20 (200sq.) that gives me a total of 368sq. in. of surface are. Or the 3rd core that 17x11 which would give me 355sq. in.

I'm gonna have to measure, if I can get away with using 2 17x11 heat exchangers thats 374sq. in. and should be more than enough to cool my supercharger.

Basically whats the school of thought on this?