View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 08:35 AM

Thanks Marty!

We've had a problem with the heads and after doing lots and lots of internet research and talking to different engine builders and circle track racers that often use these heads still no answers. What a headache it's been dealing with a problem no one has ever dealt with before. We even sent them back to the engine builder we bought them from. After inspecting them he was convinced our Comp rocker arms were defective, despite them working fine on other heads we have, and he sent the heads back saying use a different rocker. I finally had a great conversation with Judson Massingill, the director of the Texas based School of Automotive Machinists and engine masters top 5 competitor. He confirmed what I had thought, the rocker stud mounts are machined in the wrong location- closer to the valve than they should be, making it impossible to get decent rocker arm geometry. Since the distributor we got them from wouldn't warranty them our only option was take them to a local machine shop and have the stud bosses machined shorter and we'll have to run a pretty short push rod so to get the rocker tips to line up on the middle of the valve tip. Although the geometry is off Judson and our local machinist assured us for what the engine will be used for and the cam and rpm range it'll see there wouldn't be any issues with doing this.

Roman's getting close with the rest of the truck's repairs and upgrades and we're anticipating getting the heads back from the machine shop this week so we're hoping by the end of the month it'll be back on the road. More coming soon...

My SRD Renderings Instagram page

My SRD Renderings Facebook Page

Pumkinator '79 Cutlass Wagon Build

Last edited by SRD Art; 09-09-2019 at 08:39 AM.