View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 01:03 PM

Talking My Firebird build

First off my name is Sean James and I’m introducing my project and starting a build thread. I bought my 1969 Firebird on October 1st, 2000.

It started off to be just a driver, get it running and drive until I get my Camaro done. I had it running in two days and then I started cleaning the engine and engine compartment. I thought I might as well blow the heads off and re-gasket the engine plus it makes it easier to clean. Well there were holes in two pistons, so I went out and bought a remanufactured Pontiac 350 short block, had the heads rebuilt and bought an Edelbrock intake. For the money I spent on it I should have bought a LS1. Oh well. Skip to today, second house and two more kids.

I have acquired many parts and I’m ready to just get it drivable. So my theme for this is JUST GET THE DANG THING RUNNING AND DRIVE IT! Also the budget is small (by small I mean try not to spend money frivolously and only on things that are necessary) considering I have four kids, house, wife and one income.

Here is the basic plan. Power will be from the Pontiac 350, 290-340 horsepower with 400 lb-ft of torque backed by a T-56. Later I will swap it out for a 5.3L LS out of a truck and add the turbos I already have.

Front suspension has the Guldstrand mod with hybrid 13” c4/c5 brakes and Z06 red calipers and hydroboost brake assist from Hydrotech. It also has hidden spring adjusters installed and poly urethane bushings that will be swapped for Delrin or equal after I start driving it. Steering box will be upgraded but I haven’t decided on what box to go with. Eventually I want to get the adjustable a-arms from SC&C.

For the rear it has 3” drop leaf springs and offset shackles from SpeedTech. 12 bolt out of a Chevelle with 4:10 gears and a posi. Later it will be converted to a coilovers and a torque arm setup. I need the back seat for the kids so that leaves out any 3-link. Brakes are from a LS1 Camaro with Z06 calipers.

Wheel and tires, Front 17x9.5 with 275/30-18 and the rears are 17x12 with 335/35-18. Front tires and wheels will be delivered today. I will hopefully post up some pictures tonight. They were cheap one piece wheels and I’m having the rears widened but they look a lot like the HRE 547.

Here are the wheels I bought.

Body and paint will be minimal for now but the plan is to shoot it in a flat or semi gloss dark green primer/sealer, nearly black with a lime green stripe.

My goal is to have it drivable in May for my birthday.

Last edited by Jimmy Sean; 03-11-2008 at 01:05 PM.