View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM

As I mentioned above I've decided to do a Mini Tub. However, I somewhat agonized over this decision and figuring out the logistics for it took a lot longer than I expected. The cost of the Mini Tub is very high in relation to the overall project budget and handling wise my most important goal was to get larger rubber up front, not necessarily in the back lol.

But the decision was made and after a quick trip to Classic Industries to pick up a set of DSE mini tubs I dropped the car off at Pomona Valley Customs. These guys were recommended by TCI and are close to the TCI shop so I am hoping to pick up the car and suspension parts at the same time lol.

Quick tip. Anyone else in SoCal who wants to get their hands on DSE mini tubs in a quick period of time classic industries stocks them and did price mach the $350 advertised price of DSE for me (otherwise they are $389).

So PVC sent me some progress pics today which is why I decided to finally start my project thread. I don't have the fab skills or desire to try on a car as clean as mine (not to mention no welder...) so I knew from the beginning I'd be hiriing this part of the job out.

Here is my trunk after 5 years under the trunk mat. Still nice and clean though

This is them starting on the 2nd tub. Looks like a plasma cutter.

Cutting out the passenger side tub and part of the trunk pan. Goodbye shock mounts!

Frame rail narrowed:

DSE wheel tub going in:

Shot of the new tub against the frame rail:

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product including what the welds look like. I'm also tempted to pay for the sub frame and torque arm install. Even though I can do that work myself it's going to be tough in my tiny garage and I've been having chronic back pain since January. I can throw my back out putting on shoes :/

Lots of autocross & track day videos of my car: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDude023