Thread: Camaro LT5
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
That’s exactly a brake light switch. I also added this switch to my clutch in my 69 Camaro because I installed a push button start and didn’t want the car to start in gear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-B...-127632-2357-0
The stock pedals have a clutch safety switch, but they look for the clutch all the way depressed to start. This one is set up as the top of clutch switch which senses when you just start to get the clutch moving down, not disengaged yet. What's not clear to me is what brakelight switch he used since the ECM is looking for an open signal for top of clutch to defuel, and most brakelight switches are normally open and actuation closes the circuit. Maybe he used a relay to change the signal to the ECM. One switch I found that will work is ACDELCO D862C, it has 2 sets of contacts, one for normally open and one for normally closed. From the installation instructions:

The calibration included in the ECM is for a manual transmission application. The pair of wires labeled top of travel clutch switch must be wired used. This should not be used as a bottom of travel clutch switch or neutral safety clutch switch - do not use as a switch to prevent starter engagement without fully depressing the clutch. The top of clutch switch is used as in input to the ECM to briefly disable fuel when the clutch is depressed, which helps decelerate the engine and makes upshifting easier and quicker. A compatible clutch switch will have two pins which provide a closed circuit when the clutch pedal is fully released and an open circuit as soon as the clutch pedal is partially depressed.

Last edited by srode1; 12-01-2021 at 09:26 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to srode1 For This Useful Post:
jmac (12-01-2021)