Thread: Tig 102
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 04:24 PM

OKAY, Okay, okay.., please pardon my rant..,

1. The only difference between ER70S2 and ER70S6 is alloy. ER70S6 has a bit more Manganese and Silicon, plus a few tramp allows.
2. Regarding these two filler materials, they have almost identical tensile strengths, hence the "70" in the number, which stands for guaranteed "ultimate tensile strength", not "yield strength". What's my point? It's personal preference.., I prefer ER70S2 simply because it provides a better silicon "puddle bounce" when I weld.
3. Use pure argon when TIG welding, 15scfm +15/-0, (depending on application like back purging).
4. Please use ONLY American made tungsten and when TIG welding steel.., please use 2% thoriated tungsten which is marked by a red marking on the end.
Grind your point to a sharp tip and do so axially with your grinder, not radially, so as to avoid "break" points if you stick your tungsten.
5. Prep is EVERYTHING. Period.
6. Prep is best by sanding or scotchbrite. If you sandblast first, you must either then sand, scotchbrite, or fail.
7. Practice first on scrap. When you think you are ready, practice one more time..,
8. Control your current. Most people worry about "heat affected zone" which is the blued discoloration around the weld on the parent material. What I have learned the hard way is use plenty of current.., burn it in deep.., that is if you want strength!
9. I repeat myself..,
PREP is everything.., Keep it CLEAN.
10. Please reply.., I want to help..,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 572Camaro For This Useful Post:
jarhead (07-25-2018), jovande (08-10-2018), rixtrix1 (07-18-2018)