View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal87 View Post
lol Basically what I am figuring out here is discussing oil is like discussing religion and politics. Everyone has a different opinion and thought. Seems like the majority of everyone seems to say 10W-40. I was leaning very strongly towards the Valvoline VR1 because of the Zinc additives in it. It doesnt get much colder than 30 degress here in Dallas and that is only for a few hours a night with average temps int he day around 50-60. However, in the summer it can get hot as hell. Temps around 100 or more and that may be rough on the engine.
Much like religion and politics, oil discussions digress because nobody has any hard data.

Eexcept I just posted the hard data. We have it. All you have to do is read it and it'll answer your question on what brand to buy - Any of them. Sure, oil A and oil B might do differently running down a board at 15 degrees F, or oil C and oil D exhibit different wear patterns when you lean a bar against a spinning steel wheel. Oil E and F might behave differently when put in a frying pan and heated beyond what they'd ever see in an actual engine. Those make for great marketing.

But where it matters - how much wear an engine undergoes during an oil change interval - the available evidence indicates there's really no difference. People that track the car and put the oil through stupid high temps probably need a good synthetic. Just about nobody else does.

The moral really is: Buy what you want. Even the cheap stuff is "good enough."

The other moral is: You don't need to pick among a pile of opinions. You can figure it out yourself and actually KNOW. Put 10w40 in the engine, warm it up, and check the pressures. Then put 10w30 and check again. You could do the testing back to back with the cheapest no-label mineral oil Wal-Mart carries for $40. As long as it has an SAE seal on it, the viscosity is going to be in the proper range regardless if it's $20 a quart Motul or $2 a quart generic brand.

Then you'll know exactly what weight to buy when you fill it back up with whatever brand you want to run. And by know, I mean you'll KNOW. It won't be speculation or presumption or rule of thumb. You'll know. Actual Truth.
Instagram
Youtube