View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Lateral-G Supporting Vendor

Default Project Wheels and Stance

Well, it's finally time. As many of you saw a couple months ago, I picked up a pristine 64 Buick Skylark and have been planning, drawing and ordering parts for phase one, the most important part; wheels and stance.

It will be way more than skin deep but since Summer is upon us and it doesn't last long in the NW, I'm doing a fast and super functional facelift with a big emphasis on style and function. After a bunch of research and calls and favors, etc, I ordered up a full TVS system from Hotchkis complete with front and rear tubular control arms, BIG sway bars, Bilstien shocks and everything to make it pound corners instead of dragging the door handles around them! Next is a set of Baer 2 piston brakes with the 2 piece rotors to get it stopped right instead of standing on the brick of a pedal and waiting for the worn out drums to haul it down safely. I actually watched an Explorer stuff a Focus into a clean 71 Charger right in front of me this morning so these brakes can't go on soon enough! To hold the corners and grab the road when i have to stop is a set of BF/Goodrich G-Force KDWs wrapped around a set of Rushforth Whiplashes with brushed centers and polished outers.

I've always had a thing for Skylarks because as a designer they have way more style and time and money invested from the factory and they're far less common than Chevelles and about half the price. No offense, my A-Body brothers! And we are brothers because the beauty of the GM A-Body is of course availability of parts and interchangeability.

The car was so nice when I saw it on craigslist, I only slept on it for 2 nights instead of my usual week before I went and looked at it and I struck a deal with the owner who has had it in a garage since 82 only driving it on weekends racking up 96,000 original miles! The only thing done to it other than loving care and oil changes was a repaint in the factory color about 15 years ago that's still in good condition but while I was waiting on parts, I've been detailing it in and out.

The point of this car is obviously to A) Have fun!, B) Promote my design and wheel businesses, C) Go to shows and autocrosses and hone some driving skills, and D) Show people what can be done to an affordable alternative bodystyle when you search with an open mind, use some creativity and some careful parts selection. Do what you can with what you've got! I jones for radical over the top cars but the reality is kids, mortgage, small business and little patience so I found a car in my budget that I could drive this summer which started Sunday so get out there!

If you got this far, thanks for reading!

So, before someone puts up a "This Thread Is Worthless Without Pictures" post, here are some pictures.

Exactly as it was when I found it.

Mocking up some wheels to check fit and clearance at Jared's www.J-RodandCustom.com

And of course the rendering which wasn't too tough to come up with considering how nice this car is.

Last edited by JayR; 07-20-2009 at 11:42 AM.