Thread: Camaro LT5
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,838 Times in 502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
Tried to send a message but box is full again. Can you go into some detail on how the C6 ZR1 caliper and ZL1 rotor worked together? I know on IG you said a custom rotor hat but i'd like to hear as much detail as possible. I'm wanting to eventually get out of the wilwoods on my car and move to something more OEM quality.

There is a bit of a story. I love the Carbon Ceramic brake set up on the C6 ZR1, but they require a lot of brake cooling to work correctly. I did that on Hellfire and they work great. I did not do that on Jackass and they would get too hot.

To get better brake performance with out all the extra complexity of big cooling ducts you can add Thermal Mass (Iron Rotors).

I wanted to swap the Carbon Rotors on Jackass to Iron. The new CTS-V and ZL1 use a 390 mm iron rotor that is the same thickness as a 393 mm Carbon Ceramic rotor. The 3 mm delta is taken up by the pad.

OK easy I’ll swap the 390 mm iron rotors on Jackass. Issue is the offset on the CTS-V and ZL1 hat is different. No problem I have friends with CNC machining centers that make gun parts. I was informed the tolerances on my brake hats are tighter then gun parts.

So I got some ZL1 Rotors and added my custom hats.

To recap. Stock C6 ZR1 calipers, 390 mm Gen 6 ZL1 Rotors and custom hats. The ZR1 calipers use the same brake pad shape for Carbon Ceramic and Iron Rotors.

I had all this stuff laying around so I’m going to try it.

It will be easier to buy a Brembo kit.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fleetus macmullitz (03-08-2020), rat_rod_russell (06-08-2019), redfire69 (06-06-2019), Roscoe03 (06-05-2019), Sparks67 (06-12-2019), will69camaro (06-05-2019)