View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 12:19 PM

A few things to try and show the process, and trials this thing has been through.

The over sized wheels I mentioned were going to be SWEET, had they turned out correctly. The centers had the look I was after, though after the sleeves got machined, they turned out to be 23" in scale I think, and once I mocked them up, they were entirely too large.

The process:

I drew up the wheel centers, printed some test pieces, and like the look, though I felt they needed to be a bit bigger, the original spokes were too narrow and I felt the wheel was a tad too small. Upon re-design I printed new pieces and then ended up stalling because I couldn't find anyone to machine the wheel sleeves. I finally came across a group of modellers who had a Facebook group dedicated to big scale modelling (1/16th-1/8th). It was there I got hooked up with a guy who could do what I was looking for. So, I set out to get the wheels finished, one of the major hang ups of this project.

This is how big they turned out:

You can also see here that the guy machined the wheel sleeves for the center to be rear mount, I was looking for front mount, to replicate a 3 piece wheel. They were also machined with a "stepped" lip and I was looking for a smooth transition from the lip to the center. So, we talked it over and I sent them back to have him separate the sleeve and the mounting ring so that I could adjust the centers to the depth and mounting orientation that suited the build.

Here is what I got back:

Unfortunately when doing that, I was left with sleeves that did not have a smooth inner diameter, and mounting rings that did not fit snugly inside of the centers. Leaving me with parts that were all but useless. In the midst of all of that I thought about the lack of tires for the build, and once tires were on it, they wheel/tire combo was going to be ENTIRELY too large and look like a Donk.

Artwork Page