View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelteredV View Post
You'll be fine with the slab, just drill good, clean holes.

Take a look at Liftmaster 8500, they are awesome
You know, I looked at the notes I had (been working on this project in theory for 4 years) and someone else must have liked and recommended the Liftmaster 8500 as well because I have their spec sheet saved in my file. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
You could go handicap width doors/bath areas incase someone wants to install a lift up the steps.

I did 6" where I plan to put a lift with extra rebar to save a few bucks vs. the whole garage slab. Also consider a flat slab with some pitch the last 4-5 feet.

You want to opener out of the way when you lift a car.

Here, I'd be hard pressed to get anybody to show up as an owner builder. My builder has horsepower with the subs and I believe gets better pricing than I would as a one time deal. Consider your time and actual savings. I'd look at it both ways. It's going to be a hell of a lot of work even with a GC. It's a small project, so the fee shouldn't be terrible. There is no way I'd owner/build unless I was retired and the economy was poor.
My engineer buddy says 6" is pretty standard around here for slabs, lift or not.

And I hear you... and I got several GC quotes... they were off the charts. They just square footed the price and they were stupid high. Me hiring subs is the way to go in this market. Plus I work from home mostly these days and it's pretty much part time. Plus I want to take on the challenge and learn. I am sure there will be problems, LOL, but nothing catastrophic I am thinking. I have a couple good construction/engineer buddies within 10 minutes of me who will be helping me out as well.

I do have some good sub relationships already. But most importantly I have found a sub I like and who gave me a really fair number for the excavation/foundation/framing portion to get it built and closed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosesdad View Post
When I poured my slab, I just dug a 3'x3' area 8" deep where my posts were going, very little extra concrete and provides some mass in that area for the concrete to cure a bit more stable, should help with controlling sag. Keep on the finish guys when they are pouring to make sure they do a good job tamping that area to keep it stiff and so they don't work in any low spots. The effort here will be worth it when you are install your lift and are trying to level it. Looks like a fun project !!
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to explore that idea of the 8" depth at the post locations. Might be good peace of mind for minimal added cost.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer