Thread: My 76' and I
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2022, 08:35 PM

Entry 13: 10/21/2022

I dropped the hood and fender hardware off a week ago and caught up with the shop owner. Push came to shove, and we decided it wouldn't be a horrible idea if I came in on the weekends to try and get my car further down the road.

Talked to the wife and cleared it with her. Weather has started to turn here in Buffalo and the wife is usually busy carting our son back to fourth to hockey all Saturday afternoon.

This past weekend was the first time there - spent roughly 7 hours dicking around. Did a rough assembly of the front clip. Replaced the door hinges and got the doors pretty much perfect - used the old floor jack and 2x4 trick.
Brought my power inverter and finally brought down the passenger side window (that has been up for the past 5 years or so because I forgot to roll it down before ripping the wiring harness out).

When I ripped the front clip apart for the sub frame, I took detailed notes of what shim went where which really helped in re-assembly. The aftermarket core support fit perfectly and I am astonished - was fully intending to be disappointed. Also of note, I'm using Pro-Touring F-Body solid body mounts.

Picked up an OEM 1977 Trans Am fender to replace the original:
For the one guy out there who reads this thread 10 years from now looking to see if a 1977 Trans Am fender will fit his 1976 Trans Am - the answer is yes. The only note is that you need to remove the brace from the original 1976 Trans Am fender and tack it to the 1977. For clarification 1970-1976 Fenders will fit your 1976 Trans Am. 1977 and 1978 fenders will fit your 1976 too - as long as you bring over that front brace.

Shop owner said he took the factory inner fender wells down to bare metal and that they are in great shape. No need to replace them. Going to stop in for a little bit this Saturday (10/22/2022). Gotta drop off splash shields and front bumper supports. There's also slight bondo by the drivers side quarter panel I'm going to burn out and a little on the drivers side door.

Here's how I left it last weekend:
Attached Images

Last edited by 1_Car_Guy; 10-21-2022 at 08:39 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1_Car_Guy For This Useful Post:
Goosesdad (11-28-2022), Roscoe03 (10-24-2022), syborg tt (11-27-2022), WSSix (11-27-2022)