View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 08:21 AM

Closing the loop on this one (hopefully):

After a bunch of searching, I didn't find many good reviews on a reliable and simple aftermarket solution. Stan's method would be great, but beyond my electrical skill level. I decided to try Volvo PN VOL-31400692, found in S40, S60, XC70 and XC90 SUV's. Its a 3 way switch with integrated checks. The switch is wired to a relay which provides power to the vacuum pump when the switch is closed. One line goes to the intake manifold, another line to the vacuum pump, and the last line to the brake booster. My thinking is when the car is running, the engine can make "base vacuum", maybe 12 in HG. The vacuum pump can then kick in and make up the rest of the vacuum. Currently I have a vacuum canister inline as well, mounted between the inner fender and firewall. Upon testing with just the vacuum pump energized, it satisfies vacuum within 3-5 seconds. I'm using a GM (Hella) vacuum pump found in the SRX and Equinox. Below are a few photos of my setup. I still need to route the line from switch to intake manifold, and vacuum canister to brake booster but this should give you an idea. I'll report back with its behavior once the engine is running and the car is driving.
Attached Images