View Single Post
Old 10-25-2021, 05:23 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default spindle or rotor wrong?

During my investigation into determining what the previous owners have done to my new to me 86 C-10, I have discovered that the front wheel play is way too much. I have drop spindles on the front for sure. I can find no markings that indicate where or who they came from. They appear to be the typical 2.5" cast iron drop spindle that you can find all over the place. They are correct light duty spindles that match the light duty brakes. I determined this by measuring the inner bearing area which is 1.25" and the spindle is stamped C10LD on the backside.

The rotors are 1" thick and of unknown brand.

Inner and out bearings are correct from what I can find. Timken M2649 outer and Timken LM67048 inner.

What's happening is the bearing nut and washer are bottoming against the shoulder of the spindle before contacting the outer bearing so I'm not preloading the bearings at all. I realize they shouldn't be and that play should be in the neighborhood of .005 -.008 which is normal for GM cars of this era. I don't need to measure to know I am way over. Like, scary safety hazard over.

Does anyone have any measurements to help me determine if the rotors are wrong or that the spindles are wrong? I'd rather not simply throw parts at it and hope for the best.

The one thing that does bother me is I can't seem to get the bearing races out of the rotor to confirm that they are correct.

Thanks

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims