Thread: My new shop
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 09:58 AM

As you already know stay away from DIY epoxy kits.

Here's some help from a lot of research I've done through experience and the forum on garagejournal.com

Option 1: Tile. This is how I'm planning on going with my 40x30 shop. A good ceramic or porcelain tile in large sizes with small joints. Use epoxy grout to help fight the oil and grease.

Pros: Looks good, extremely durable against impacts, welding, etc. Easy clean. If a tile is ever damaged you can replace a single tile.
Cons: Can be slick depending on the texture tile you get. Proper mortar bed and instillation is critical to get no air pockets under the tiles.

Option 2: Pro installed 100% epoxy solids epoxy. You have to get the good stuff and you have to get it pro-installed with warranty.

Pros: Looks good, easy clean up, impact resistant.
Cons: Will not hold up to welding and grinding. Heat will cause damage. Once there is damage it's basically done and extremely hard to repair without grinding up and starting over.

Option 3: Plastic flooring (Racedeck, ect).

Pros: Quick install, looks good, easily replace a damaged piece.
Cons: Cleaning is a pain. You'll always have debris under the tiles and dust that has fallen through. It won't hold up well to welding and grinding as it will damage like epoxy.

Option 4: Stain.

Pros: Looks good, it's basically like your normal unfinished concrete but looks a little better.
Cons: Usually has to be done with a fresh slab. Old stains and damage make it a challenge to stain over.

Option 5: Concrete unfinished.

Pros: Cheap, doesn't stress you out when you damage or spill something on it because it's just the shop floor.
Cons: ugly

Good luck with your project and please post finished pictures with whatever you decide.