View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
Thanks.

1. I get the ground floor thing - and would love to have made that happen - but it just isn't possible on our lot. And we ain't moving for awhile (thanks to Prop 13 in CA).

2. Hoist? For the lift posts you mean? Bend Pak specs 4-6" at 3000 psi so I think we're at 6" for the slab. You're saying go more than 6?

3. Haven't looked at openers yet - what's the rub there?

4. Yeah that's my goal. And if you can believe it - I'll be acting as the GC on this.
You could go handicap width doors/bath areas incase someone wants to install a lift up the steps.

I did 6" where I plan to put a lift with extra rebar to save a few bucks vs. the whole garage slab. Also consider a flat slab with some pitch the last 4-5 feet.

You want to opener out of the way when you lift a car.

Here, I'd be hard pressed to get anybody to show up as an owner builder. My builder has horsepower with the subs and I believe gets better pricing than I would as a one time deal. Consider your time and actual savings. I'd look at it both ways. It's going to be a hell of a lot of work even with a GC. It's a small project, so the fee shouldn't be terrible. There is no way I'd owner/build unless I was retired and the economy was poor.