View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 09:57 PM
GregWeld's Avatar
GregWeld GregWeld is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scottsdale, AriDzona
Posts: 20,650
Thanks: 504
Thanked 1,075 Times in 382 Posts

It's called "oil canning" (like the bottom of an old oil squirt can)....

No -- I would not weld the area...

The stretched metal can be dolly and hammered -- or shrunk using heating and cooling the area.

Trust me on this - this is no place (on a freshly painted panel) for a beginner to learn to shrink metal. Take it to a QUALITY body shop and have it fixed. Or leave it alone.

Sorry to hear you had the issue... but really -- shrinking metal correctly is a learned skill... and needs to be done but someone that knows what they're doing otherwise you're going to end up with a huge mess... creating more problems than you can solve.
Reply With Quote