Thread: Pops Ride.
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default shipwrecked!

Plans on the car..

well, they have changed drastically in the last two years.

This car is pretty much complete. Engine, tranny, numbers matching.

The under floor was pretty rotted and replacement of floor pans ensued.

After getting it back from the body shop that did the work, the headaches began. They not only incorrectly installed them, they managed to leave one of the frame rails forward about 1" more than the other. Which noticeably makes my axle out of whack. I took that body shop to court, judge ordered it corrected, they attempted to correct it, did not, judge ordered them to pay back all monies. They obviously had other issues as well and claimed bankruptcy and sold the business off to someone else.

SO, I decided to mini-tub it, and while in process, have the issue with the axle repaired and or put in correct alignment.
I purchased a DSE mini-tub kit with 3" drop springs.

I and had a Mini-tub installed. I tossed and turned on it for a while, cutting into this RS/SS. But it had to be done.

However, when I recently got it back, low an behold, the new 9" rear end, that I purchased was still sitting in the same spot as the 12 bolt rear end that was pulled out. This "fabricator/machinist/engine builder" I went with, didn't bother to check the alignment of the axle. We had discussed the issue with the axle not being aligned, and he actually initially told me that i didn't tell him about it. only later to recant that and agree that we had talked about it.

So now I have this newly installed axle, mini-tub kit, DSE shocks, narrowed gas tank, somewhat undercoated, and it needs to be disassembled and corrected.

My friends, its not always wise to go with the cheapest price. Not to mention the hack job that was done installing the tub kit, and over-cutting the trunk pan, and having to add metal to fill the 3/4" - 1" gaps that were created. I was pretty disgusted with the work. I asked him not to under coat it until i got a chance to take pictures of the welding, but he said, too late, I already coated it. "gobbed" it on more like. There's definitely a problem with my car.

While having the car tubbed, I came across Mr. Rich Bermea. Road Touring Customs. I walked in his shop, and my jaw dropped... I was In heaven. There he had 3 68 camaros in the shop, and a Chevelle. I looked around, had Flash's 68 Camaro outside front, and two more camaros in the outside rear of the shop. They had just got back from Run to the Coast that past weekend.

And so begins the path to getting things done right.

Art

Last edited by califconstruct; 04-26-2012 at 09:14 AM.