View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 12:14 AM

Default '66 Le Mans...keeping the Pontiac Spirit alive

Well I figured I had done enough rambling in my intro thread, so here's a build thread to keep it all contained, haha.

As I said in my intro, my father and I had kicked around the idea of getting a project car to build together. Having already cut my automotive teeth in the import world (turbo/swapped Nissans, specifically) I wanted the challenge of a complete restoration.

Finding this '66 was by complete chance. Feb2013 I decided on a whim to see what they were going for on eBay, and lo and behold, there was one located in Acworth, GA. I called the owner, and arranged a time to inspect the car.

This is how it sat for the last 10 years:

Having spent a few years up north courtesy of the USAF, I crawled under the car to check for rust and I was pleased to see that it was minimal. The missing rear windshield and the metal in that area is the worst spot on the entire car...and it's going to be an easy fix. So I paid the man half of the money since I wasn't able to transport the car that day, he removed the eBay ad and I came back in 2 weeks to pick up the car, paid in full.

The 240SX in the above picture has been my labor of love since 2004...and once I got started on my new project, I quickly lost interest in the car and sold it the following July.

Step one...remove the engine/trans. My hoist is showing it's age, and didn't want to pull both out at the same time. And yes, I know the torque converter is supposed to come off with the trans. Late night crunch, and it slipped my mind.

Within a few days, had the forward bodywork off the car, preparing to strip the frame and coat it.

Hard at it. I'm still young enough to pull transmissions out with the car on jackstands, so I have figured I might as well get in there with the wire wheel and get everything cleaned out.

Everything coated from the firewall forward...

BMR 2" drop springs w/ fresh Bilsteins ordered around Thanksgiving...prompt shipping, and I am definitely going to order more parts through them when the time comes.

NOTE...all but ONE body mount came out without issue. I only had one mount that we had to cut the bolt. I consider myself EXTREMELY fortunate thus far with the car...we have not encountered any serious rust.

Late night with the best friend...

End result the next morning...

New fuel tank, sending unit and straps courtesy of Original Parts Group, Earl's lines and fittings (-6 feed) via the Summit store...that is only an hour from where the car is kept.

Since this car was a factory original A/C car, it came with a fuel return setup that we decided to keep in place.

New polyurethane bushings, just need to box the arms now.

And that's basically where we are at right now...awaiting a few more pieces to arrive for the rear end, and I have yet to decide on what differential I'm going to toss in there. Once I have the rear end guts back in place, I can install the rear disc brakes and fab the new hardlines. Since I live in Savannah and the car stays at my parent's house in Central GA, I don't get to work on it as often as I'd like. However, once I have wrapped up this house purchase, the car will be relocating to Savannah so I can make some real progress.

Thanks for checking out the car, and I will make it a point to keep this thread updated regularly.

Last edited by PBarkley; 10-01-2014 at 07:36 AM.