View Single Post
Old 10-01-2014, 07:31 AM

At this point, I still need to purchase the Kore3 C5 brake kit for the front, and the BMR sway bars. I did buy the factory GTO/Chevelle SS rear chassis braces that tie the upper and lower trailing arm attachment points together, and those are currently installed. Outside of that, I did the 85-88 Monte Carlo steering box, replaced all the suspension hardware (which was severely worn out) with Grade 8 nuts and bolts, and replaced all of the steering components, even the pitman arm. Basically the only remaining OEM parts on the front of the car are the control arms.

As for the engine/trans, it was originally an automatic and I plan to keep it that way since this is going to be a car that my dad will be driving more often than I do. We're keeping it Pontiac powered, and will likely back it up with a 700R4 trans. I have a cherry 400 block from a '73 Le Mans in addition to the original 326 and 2 speed auto that came with the car, and for now the plan is to build the 400 with forged pistons/rods and a roller cam. Still undecided on heads at this time. However, I will be putting nitrous (100-150 shot) to it, mostly just for kicks. I have no intentions of making the track a regular venue for this car. Just a fun street rod that can light up the tires if desired, but mostly aiming for driveability and reliability.

The garage was a bit of a mess in this picture, so excuse me for that haha. Here's the 400 block fresh from the machine shop after being magnafluxed and hot tanked, the 326 is on the tire.

And here's one of my dad helping move and hold the rear end in position while I crawled under and got the bolts in place...

My goal is to have the rest of the aforementioned chassis work done by spring.