View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 11:12 PM

Here’s an extra 3c on Paul's comment above (crappy exchange rate)
The vacuum pump that I mentioned in my post is used in many a GM product around the world (among other brands) , pretty sure it’s fit for use in a mildly modified car. In my application, and I’m sure many others, repurposing stock factory fitted parts to upgrade older systems is an economical alternative to aftermarket parts. While I love to look at some of the builds that are showcased on this site, some of us don’t have the cash, the abundance of aftermarket suppliers (I’m in Australia) ,the fabrications skills or the expertise to change out or modify components multiple times to come up with the perfect solution to a problem.

I agree, a reservoir used with a motor that can’t generate enough vacuum will still give you crappy vacuum, just more of it. And if a master cylinder or other components in the system are not sized correctly, you’ll still end up with a crappy result. But for a relatively simple system where you can identify a lack of vacuum, I think this is a fairly good solution.

The reason for my post was to mention a different control switch for the vacuum system that VTtransam mentioned, they’re cheap and probably in almost every wrecking yard out there. While the stock system uses a PCM to control the pump operation, with a bit of simple wiring it can be used as a simple trigger for the control relay attached to the pump. I refuse to pay for an expensive aftermarket pump (same part No.) switch (just an inline pressure switch) relay (stock part has a relay control box with it) when the factory already did the hard work for me. Oh…and I’m a complete tight ass.