View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 11:19 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by syborg tt View Post
btw - Screw Obamacare as it's f-n worthless and all it did for me was raise our insurance costs to the point of stupidity.

Our rates are well over double -- I have coverage for items we don't want or need (Gwen won't be pregnant any time soon).... our deductible is near $10,000 (in my eyes you need to add this amount to your premium costs to figure out what you're really paying for insurance).... and the out of pocket for all the crap they don't cover now (they used to) would break a working family.

Basically O'care forced those that couldn't afford insurance to buy it - which many probably didn't anyway -- they'll still stick the doctors and hospitals with unpaid bills -- and then the pre-existing conditions mandate swamped everyone with costs that are simply unsustainable regardless of how much my premiums went up.

We need a multi tiered system -- public and private -- not everyone is going to get premium care - they'll get the care they "need" to sustain.... which is more what the euro and canadian models are. You get basic care - more than that - you pay for private care. It may not be "fair" - but life isn't fair nor is it "equal". Never has been - never will be. We need to have controls on what it COSTS -- because that's why insurance is so costly that people can't afford it. We probably also will have to go to a non-profit system for basic healthcare. It's all driven by money. If someone invests in a hospital - then they want a return on that investment..... so that's where "government" needs to step in and build clinics and staff them.

If a people can't afford to pay for medical school -- fine -- we'll pay for it - and you can pay it back with giving an equal amount of time to one of the community clinics or hospitals. You'll get a basic salary - and when you're done you can do whatever you want with the rest of your career.