View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 08:14 PM

Default Project Frankenbird - 1968 Pontiac Firebird

Here is my project car. It's a 1968 Pontiac Firebird 350 car. No engine came with it, which is OK with me. It has a 3-speed toploader transmission, which is not going back in it. Here are my plans:

Lots-o-metalwork - new floor pan, fenders, inner fenders, fender extensions, valence, outer rear wheelhouses, mini tubs, and at least one rear quarter. Worst case, also the roof, trunk pan, and other rear quarter. Still debating to put a 69 T/A hood on it. We'll see.

New floor pan is the first thing I want to get done. After that, I'm tempted to have the car acid dipped and epoxy primed. There is a company right nearby that does this, albeit a bit pricy at $2600. This will tell me exactly what else I need to replace. I figure this will allow me to make a full judgment on what metal needs replacing.

After that, I'm hoping for an Art Morrison front clip and DSE Quadralink rear for chassis.

As for drivetrain, somewhere between an LS3 and LS9 (depending on funds left at that point), attached to a T56 Magnum 6-speed. Rear end is TBD, but I plan to mount black-chrome ZR1 wheels on the end of it!

The interior is still unplanned, but I plan to keep the dash with only the 2 5" gages set in an Anvil carbon fiber dash. 4 more gages set in the console.

Still a lot of details to be ironed out, but I expect this to take 2-3 years as a minimum as I want to do as much work on my own as I can.

First priority is to get 230V to my garage, buy a welder, and get a bigger compressor.