View Single Post
Old 09-20-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshchevelle View Post
Im building a 85 S10 pick up for autocross with limited street use My Question is I have to swap the rear end anyways should I be looking for a limited slip or a poise unit ??? hoping to find something set up with disk brakes already Thanks
You definitely need to have a rear end with some type of diff that allows both axles to rotate together, whether or not you use a cone type, clutch type, clutch locker( like a stock GM G80), torsen or true locker! The type you choose is up to you depending on horsepower, transmission and, of course, budget!. I track and will be autocrossing my 2002 S10 with the much maligned G80 locker, but my powertrain consists of a stock 4.3 and 4l60e automatic trans. A manual transmission may force you to move up to a stronger unit. Limited slip or Posi are just names for a diff that allows the axles to rotate differently during turning using preloaded clutch plates or cones. A locker mechanically locks the axles together when in a straight line situation. I'm building a 1966 Chevelle with a Detroit Locker in a 9" axle housing. You can even get units that replace the side and spider gears in a stock diff ( see lunch box lockers) but the case is not as strong as a complete aftermarket diff . Cost can vary from a few hundred dollars to over a thousand

2002 S-10, Daily Driver and autoX
1966 Chevelle MALIBU ( mine since 1971) Drag car converting to a track car!