View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks for starting this thread. This is what I am going through right now. I am in the middle of a mini-remodel on my detached 25x35 workshop. The man that built my house first built the shop and lived in it while the house was going up. So, it is fully insulated, heated/cooled, well wired (cable/phone 220/110, etc) and has a full bath (10x5). The downside is he finished it inside with OSB painted white and the bathroom was only marginal.

So...enter my current project. We are just putting the final touches on the bathroom. I installed a 32x32 shower and built a custom vanity using a deep sink and oversize counter surrounded with formica matching the counter top as side and back splash. The idea is to be nice enough looking to pass for a standard guest bathroom, but rugged and water proof enough to hold up to shop greese, grime, etc.

A bathroom is a MUST in your workshop and in my opinion should be the first thing you really plan for.

NEXT we figure out the work bench/cabinet/storage, etc. My wife came up with an excellent idea last night that I am running with now.

A couple of things to consider. A good way to complete a budget build is by using old counter tops and cabinets from a remodeled kitchen. Second, you can buy the preformed counter top from the hardware store (superior to just a rough old plywood work surface) and build your bench from that.

My ceiling it too low for a lift but we should be able to get most everything else crammed in.

My wife parks in the house garage (usually) so there is room to store one other car in the house garage. That leaves room for no more than one project car at a time. That's enough for me.

Also having to build the shop "baby safe" so my son can come out and play while I tinker. I hope to get a small workspace in one corner when complete to put a pc, printer, and file area for setting up and moving ebay items and general auto forum chat while working in the shop.

No sense taking any pictures right now until it is done. I am sure I will post those up soon as I am taking the week off after Christmas to finish it up.