Thread: '66 Nova Update
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 06:24 PM

Talking Stripping paint off the car

I've been debating this for a while now and so far this is what I have been told:

Acid Dipping: Even with the company immersing your shell in a neutralizer and rinsing it off as best as they can, there is still a chance that some of the acid can leach out of seams that were spot welded, etc. Also, places like the rocker panel where you can't get paint or some sort of coating to, since now that it has been stripped of paint and is raw metal, can start to rust over time.

Bead Blasting: Better in the sense that you won't have the rocker panel issue but you still have the problem of dust getting stuck in the nooks and crannies, no matter how good they try and blow out those areas, and you get sand coming out later.

I don't know to what degree or how often this happens but it has been mentioned in several sites and I have heard it from some paint and body people.

Anyone ever have a bad experience like this? I would love to hear about it so that I can avoid these types of problems down the road.