View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 09:23 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Thanks Greg...appreciate the tips.

I'm not quite ready to tack yet... still finalizing position, but wanted to make some marks just in case.

I'll let you know when it's ready for final weld so you can swing by and show me how it's done in person.

As you know from all my past posts --- when I post something I usually am trying to help EVERYONE that reads these threads. Welding is something that almost every project needs - and many here are relative "newbs" or weekend warriors..... and they just don't do much welding. I'm a guy that thinks ANY advantage to helping make a better "whatever" is a good thing. Guys that weld all day everyday can make minor adjustments to position - heat settings etc and crank out a perfect looking weld. Us guys that do it rarely or occasionally need all the help we can get (talking about clean material here). Super clean material will help with porosity - fil flowing - and just generally a better looking better weld. It's the little things in welding that make a huge difference.... like learning to place most of the heat on the thicker material and just barely walking up to catch the thinner piece etc which then really helps with burn thru etc - these are all things we need to be reminded of because we just simply don't weld often enough and in off position or crazy positions (to reach something).