View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Advice on guages

I am looking to use a couple of 5" guages in the stock locations in my 68 camaro. 5" Tach and speedo. I will not be running a console in the car, i plan just to have a carpeted tunnel with my new B&M shifter there. I plan on using 3 x 2-1/16 guages for fuel/water/oil mounted in the centre dash area.

I think i have decided to use the Ultra Lite series Autometers, the silver faced guages should blend well together with the shifter, billet door handles and winders, and my motorised Pioneer in-dash tv screen. The phantom series of guages are also on my short list. Interior will be stock black with recaro front seats retrimmed to match.

My questions are:
A) Should i go for an electronic speedo or the mechanical version. The electronic one will be more flexible to calibrating to an 18" wheel diameter i assume? Gearbox is a T350. I see autometer now do a KPH speedo which is handy for us over here in Australia.

B) It looks like some of you guys have used pedestal type mount tachs in the dash location, is there a reason for this? Easier mounting perhaps? I would prefer to buy a pedestal type Tach, so i can remove it, then mount the shift light on column. Do the in dash mount type guages have the plug on them to hook an external shift light otherwise?

C) The fuel level guage (part no: 4314) 0-90 Ohms for GM '65-UP should work ok with my stock tank sender yeah?

Anything i haven't thought of? I'd hate to order the wrong guages.

Fuel prices suck!