Thread: Camaro LT5
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 01:52 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,839 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillia2 View Post
Very great info on the brakes your a world of info. What Diff are you going to run in this car? I just had one go with 700 miles on it and I know you beat on your cars. Ford 9 from DSE and a eaton its DONE! I didn't even get to work on it. Found broken parts and a washer in the bottom. Cant wait to see this LT5 push this car around the track .
Ford 9 inch gears are my nemesis. I have lost track of how many sets I have failed in my life. I do not think it is the fault of the diff assemblers. My data shows it is poor gear manufacturing. I attempt to use real Ford gears and they seem to be the quietest and most durable. Occasionally you will get a good aftermarket set of gears. I found out that most gear suppliers set up there tooling / gear grinding and let it run until it is way out of tolerance. So if you get an "Early" set they may be good and if you get one of the last ones they maybe bad.

US Gear is going to make some "Stealth Gear" that are suppose to be more to OE tolerances. My buddy has a set to test on how quite they using some "real" measuring equipment. (An actual engineering test).

I hope they are good and stay good. Our community needs a better solution than digging though junk yards to find usable old Ford gears to get a quite gear set.

Mark
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stielow For This Useful Post:
fleetus macmullitz (06-21-2019), LS1-IROC (06-24-2019), rat_rod_russell (06-25-2019), Sonar Chief (05-14-2021)