View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 12:13 PM

Default Steering issue!!what could be the reason?

I am posting this thread in the forum as I have searched a lot online without any luck and hoping will get input from the experts here.

Here is my story...

I installed a new unisteer rack and pinion as the old one was badly leaking. I would like to thank Chuck at unisteer for great customer service.

When I finished with rack install and bolted the tie rods with even threads initially as recommended, I noticed that driver side wheel has too much toe out as if the steering wheel is a bit turned to the left. However, the toe on the passenger side is out but could be sorted out by minor tie rod adjustment.

Unisteer racks come centered already. However, I was asked to double check again, and it confirmed it as per the paint marks put by Unisteer on the rack body and pinion shaft.

I did also try to adjust the toe from the inner tie rod. However, there is not going to be much thread engagement of inner tie rod through outer tie rod ( Maybe about 1/2 inch thread engagement) which is to unsafe.

I really don’t know what is causing this toe issues. I have checked the thread engagement between the inner and outer tie rods, and it seems like there is not much thread engagement there. I have read that the there should be a minimum of 1 inch thread engagement.

I am running Speedtech front clip.

Could this be due to alignment issues done previously by an alignment shop.

Will appreciate your input guys.
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s