View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 10:49 PM

I have just finished installing mine and have only taken it for a short drive around the block a couple of times so my opinion of the product at this point is only of the install. All of this is installed in a 1973 Camaro.

I got the 70001 kit, 500hp without trans control. I went with a tanks inc tank and ran new supply and return lines to the front of the car. I also used a Holley boost reference regulator to control fuel pressure. My install is on a 2002 5.3L pullout engine from a Suburban. To avoid a ton of typing I’ll just list out the pros and cons as I experienced them...

Pros:
Price point - pretty much everything in one box and it allows you to tune it yourself. I looked at stock ECU, but then you need HPtuners or something along hose lines, and a modified harness, etc...
Looks - personally I like the look of the “fabricated” intake, even if it’s not the best performing option. I will be cruising in the car, not racing it, and I don’t necessarily care that I’m leaving power on the table. The FiTech parts look good quality wise
All new harness - no dealing with old weathered plugs and wiring
Easy setup - my motor started up after a couple attempts of cranking it. And within 5 minutes of self tuning had settled into a nice idle.
Starts right up at the turn of the key every time after the initial start even though I need to do some work on adjusting the throttle blades and a vacuum leak.
Cons:
Need to buy a bracket for the throttle cable. Should be included in my opinion
Lackluster instructions - if you do some reading on the forums you can easily figure it out, but these could be improved.
Vacuum ports - located on the bottom of the intake. FiTech supplies a few NPT to hose barb fittings, but they point straight down into the valley cover. I got a couple elbows to point the barbs towards the back of the motor.
Throttle body vacuum port - FiTech supplies a 3/8 barb pointing straight out of the side of the throttle body, straight into the throttle cable. Maybe I have something setup wrong but I don’t see how this works. I need to get an elbow for that as well to connect to the valve cover port.
Wire harness - this one is a split complaint and kudos. The harness is labeled great and seems well made. But the lengths were a bit odd to me. My ECU is under the dash and I put the harness through the firewall centered above the valley plate, some wires reach perfect and others could stand to lose a foot or more of wire.
Truck water pump doesn’t work - I didn’t think it would, but their site says it will. The throttle cam hits the upper neck of the water pump.
Truck 4-port steam lines don’t fit. The intake hits the rear lines.

I’m sure I’ll think of more and try to update this thread as I get more experience. I still think this kit is a great deal for what ou get, especially if ou find a deal on a long block and just need these parts to finish it off.