Thread: 72 Camaro
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 01:05 PM

Default 72 Camaro

This is where I am coming from https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44704 and going with this 72, I just purchased. It has been a little while since I sold my Corvette after my son’s (LtCol Kevin Herrmann, USMC pilot) death on 6 Dec 2018, as a result of a F-18 striking is aircraft during refueling, He and his crew of 4 were killed and we are finally burying him in Arlington 23 July. They recovered the cockpit at 16,000 ft after 6 months. During my 27 yrs in the USMC as a pilot, I buried a lot of friends just never thought that one would be my son.
My wife and daughter said I need another project to keep me busy besides my son’s wife and three wonderful granddaughters who are currently living with us, so I thought a second gen would be a great start. No more Corvettes as they are just too cramped inside for me as I grow wiser.
This 72 has a 350/350, gears M23 4spd and a 12 posi with 342 gears and a very solid body, interior is good for now and nice paint.
I have researched the heck out of these threads for 2nd gen Camaro’s and still a little undecided where I am going. I do know the chrome wheels are going and I need 275 x 18 on the front and would like 335/315 in the rear. A small block like something like the 600hp 427 FI Blueprint engine I had in my vette but open to carbureted as well but this time an automatic. The body and frame ares rust free and the paint and body work are certainly good for now but not very fond of silver. The only body work I anticipate are wheel tubs.
I am open for suggestions as I am going to tackle the suspension first. Looks like a four link set up is preferred but have seen keeping the leaf springs and there are several viable options out there. I need to change the rear gearing from 342, but will wait until I have my engine and transmission ideas. How much can the 12 bolt take with the c clips?
Note: I plan on doing some fun auto crossing and take it on the track for some fun road course stints but still want to hop in and drive with AC.
Many thanks as this will take some time 1(yr).
Attached Images

Last edited by vstol; 07-21-2019 at 01:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to vstol For This Useful Post:
CamaroAJ (07-24-2019)