View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
Looks good Pappy!!

Did you have to replace the under tray? The section under the trunk filler panel? That's where I'm stuck on my 67.

AMD does fit great.
Vince

Yes. A leak at the bottom of the rear window (standard) let water in the undertray and it totally destroyed it (and the trunk floorpan and both lower fenders behind the rear tires). I went to a wrecking yard with a saws-all and cut an undertray out of a 64 chevy. It wasn't a perfect fit, but the shape along the front of the trunk lid was close. I cut, welded, and ground where necessary -- had to add a section along the front edge to get the width right. I had to reshape the 64 Chevy tray slightly where the hinge supports attached also. I then spot welded the tray to the bottom of the window filler panel, complete with the channel that holds the weatherstrip. In the end, the undertray looks pretty factory. I also flared some 3/8 Inch tubing and welded the flares into the bottom corners of the channel around the back glass (behind the stainless trim). The tubes run down along the fender tubs and out through the trunk floorpan -- barely visible. That should keep water from collecting in the channel in the future. I suspect that the undertray from a 68-up Chevelle (available in re-production) might be easier to modify, but it would be more expensive. I think I have some pictures of the construction -- I'll look for them.

Pappy

Last edited by mfain; 08-02-2013 at 07:44 PM.