View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 09:12 PM

thanks!

engine is a de-stroked 400, so 4.155 bore 2-bolt main block that I machined and added splay main billet caps 2-3-4 with a stock steel, large journal 327 crank. I run bearing spacers on the mains. 6" H-beams with flattop SRP pistons that give me 10.5:1 with the heads I am using.

I stuck with a solid tappet cam for longevity v. roller (tho' now rollers are getting really good longevity with lifter tech getting better and better and oiling to the rollers during idle). Cam is a "short-track" circle track cam that works great for road racing as well = 256/264 @ .050 with around .550" lift and 105 l/c. The lift could be much better with a roller of course.

Nonetheless, when I lived in SoCal I dyno'd at near perfect sea level so with a little less than 1% correction factor it came in at 525HP/438 ft-lbs at 7100/5000 rpm.

Now that I am used to the power and also moved to a higher altitude where I lost 20%, if I were to do it again I would use a 350 crank and domes for 12:5:1.

On another note, I managed to split the Mendeola case nearly in half after only 15hrs of use $6K later it is now a 5spd with much closer gear ratios so we will see how that all works out. Sucks to have a bone stock 930 trans last 5 years including 2 years at sea level with 100 more HP and have this one last 15 hrs so I am a bit wary to see how this all pans out... I have taken it out one time since getting it in the car in June and it does appear to shift way better (the S4 would NOT downshift and that is why it broke, I was told that was my fault of course) and shifted up/down every time and never missed a gear, so again, we'll see how this all pans out but I am a bit perturbed to know I spent $16K on a trans that wouldn't shift for crap and now knowing the S5 is 1000% better, yes, 1000%.

Lastly, I have been busy reconfiguring the car over the 5 months it took to get the trans fixed to be SCCA legal for Super Production (plan to get it through tech here in the next few weeks) so hope to get out there next year into some W2W action again. Turns out I have to take their SCCA driver's school they only offer in the first few months of the year - I was trying to make the Labor Day weekend race and found that out a week ago unfortunately.