View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 10:14 PM

Default '71 Nova. Project "Urban Legend" (Updated 4/20 Pics Pg.2)

It's embarrassing how long I've been a member here and other places and just now feel I can start a build thread but here goes... Oh, and I apologize in advance that it isn't a Camaro ...

I got this '71 at 15 and will have had it for 20 years this fall. Been through 2 build-ups prior to this but never really "finished" those. School, career, wife, housing, etc has always gotten in the way. Couple that with too much indecisiveness on my part, change in priorities and you get long, unfinished project car .

A good friend of mine nicknamed the Nova project "Urban Legend" a few years back because "everybody has heard about it but few have seen it." Sad but true I guess. You have a car this long and every family get together, run in with old friends, etc it always comes up, "how's the Nova", "you still got that Chevy II", etc.

Unfortunately, as I approach the big 35, I began to realize life is short and those that are close to me won't be around forever. Many of those people lived through the era when all the cars we love now were rolling off the lines. They have countless stories and memories developed over the years of enjoying these great machines. I never get tired of hearing the stories. Sorta like the movie Dazed and Confused but real. I just want to get this thing together so when I get asked, "finish that Nova yet", I can say "dayum right I did. Let's go do some burnouts." I can only imagine the stories that's gonna conjure up . To me, that appreciation and enjoyment of the project by those individuals will mean as much as anything.

So here's the plan...

Exterior:
Mostly stock. Maintain the classic heritage of the car. Chrome bumpers, etc.
DSE mini tub
DSE subframe connectors
VWW V45 17" front 18" rear

Interior:
Factory replacement stuff
Maybe some basic Recaros that don't look too out of place
4 point rollbar w/removable harness bar
Decent sound system

Front Suspension:
Modifed OEM subframe
Speedtech UCA/LCA
QA1 D/A coilover conversion
Hollow swaybar
Basic Wilwood 4 piston setup (clear 15" wheels)

Rear Suspension:
G-link w/Fab9
-OR-
12 bolt, 3" drop leafs with Speedtech billet shackles

Drivetrain:
496 big block (resisting the LSx temptation...)
4l80e

Last edited by BBC71Nova; 04-20-2011 at 10:03 PM.