View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Are you building the car yourself?
Yep. Looks to be an LS7 motor'd, street driven, in your face type of performance platform wrapped in a stock looking skin. Nice car. The owner has a collection of 911's, a really nie 67 GTX, bitcin' 57 Pro Street car, etc. And you won't have to cut the entire car up, more in line with what yu'd do for a mini-tub kit, or through floor SFC install.

I want to clear up a statement made in a previous response. Typically, an IRS is WAY more difficult to tune than a stick axle because of the additional kinematic issues that arise (bump steer, yes this happens at the back end too, camber gain, roll center migrations, etc). It is specifically a false statement to say that a three link is harder to tune that an IRS, especially if each of the systems is designed and engineered by folks that understand what they are doing. If a lay-person is trying to get each to work with a limited amount of knowledge, well, there's less to screw up on a stick axle setup relative to IRS.

At least in the case of our (Lateral Dynamics) three link systems, the hard work of sorting out the tuning and basic setup is done for you. Is it tunable beyond the "nominal" setting? Heck yes! Will you get lost in Neverland if you try something new? No, we won't let you, nor will our design, we limited it to parameters within a specific envelope.

As to whipping the poop out of the Porsche cars, Corvettes, and all of the other cars on a race track, well, bring your A-game and a seriously lightened car, with race tires. Lots of HP is a good thing, but if you have ever shared the track at speed with some of the modified late model cars on race tires lately, youll know that there is WAY more to the game than lots of throttle. A better objective is to have a car that you can drive really fast, and that won't do anything unexpected to freak the driver out at speed. I recently got beat up by three cars at Willow Springs with my 550 HP 69 Camaro, badly. One was a 911 Vision Motorsports race car, it flew by me so fast it wasn't funny, another was a new Ford GT, the third was a Nissan 350 GT, modified, with Hoosier race slicks, and a far better driver. It's a good thing to respect your "enemies."

M